25 Odd Jobs That Make Money
When we think about making big money at our job, we often think about traditional jobs: doctor, lawyer, banker. But there are loads of little-known jobs out there that provide a great salary. Have a look at this infographic from jobtitles.net - you may want to change your career path afterwards!
- Risky jobs lead to higher pay
- Voice-over artists can make up to $80,000 a year!
- Trash collectors earn $60,000 per annum!
Read also: How to Calculate Your Full Salary Package
25 Odd Jobs that Make Good Money
- Shot Girl: She is the one who prepares test tube sized shots of tequila and Jell-O. They are paid 25 cents per shot that they sell plus the tips. This translates as anywhere between $300 and $600 per night.
- Submarine Cook: Working as a senior submarine cook in Australia could fetch you $200,000 per year. If you have about 6 years of experience as a cook on the sea, then this job is for you.
- Pearl Diver: An average pearl diver in Australia earns about $1300 per day while it is $500 and above in America. It is a risky proposition though.
- Oil and Gas Diver: If diving is your passion then you can combine it with some odd job like inspecting oil rigs, laying pipes and welding under the waters. You could easily earn $80,000 per year.
- Airplane Repo Man: If you are a born salesman then consider selling airplanes for a change. Plane costs run into the millions of dollars, and 10% commission means a lot of money, to the tune of $10,000 to $900,000 per plane. Reselling just one plane can help you set aside a fortune for life.
- Bounty Hunter: This one is really an odd job to be doing. Bounty hunters help in getting a criminal who has skipped out on bail, back to jail. They can earn anywhere between 10 and 45% of the bail amount. The higher the risk, the higher the money you make.
- Voice-over Work: For just 5 minutes of dubbing audio for cartoons and commercials you could earn $325. Even a novice can make up to $80,000 per year.
- Lipstick Reader: This lady will read the lip prints of women in high teas and parties and earn anywhere from $25 to $50 per hour. The reader tells the person about their personality and future prospects.
- Human Statue: This is an age-old job which requires dressing up as a cartoon or an idol and appearing in promotional events or theme parks. Human statues make about $25 to $200 per hour
- Human Scarecrow: This is an odd job for the rural dwellers. You get paid $10 to $15 an hour for assisting your friendly neighborhood farmer
- Focus Group Participant: This is like an offline survey participant. Being a part of such groups will pay you $40 to $100 an hour and you will be required to give you opinion on products, ideas or services.
- Sperm or Egg Donor: If you are young and in good health then this is an easy way to earn your second income. While men earn only a maximum of $200 per donation, women can demand up to $8000.
- Mystery Shopper: Anonymous shoppers and service evaluators are employed by companies and auditors to assesss their merchandise, quality, cleanliness and behaviour of employees at workplace. You could easily make $100 per week doing a single assignment.
- Movie or Television Extra: Becoming an extra for a movie or TV cannot only give you quick money but also a chance to feature with your favorite star. A weekend on the sets can get you up to $200 per day.
- Live Mannequin: This is the latest rage in high end stores. They employ people to parade down with a dress of your choice. If you like modeling then you could earn about $50 an hour doing this job.
- Body Advertiser: Painting your face in logos or etching tattoos on your skin are the best ways to become live ads for companies. You could earn anywhere from $100 to $5000 based on the size and importance of the tattoo.
- Crab Fisherman: Fishing for crabs could make you richer by more than $60,000 within a few months. These are frequently taken up by college students to clear their education loans.
- Crime Scene Cleaner: Not everyone wants to do this job, which is the reason it is a high paying odd job. Starting at $35,000, you could end up earning 6 figure salaries in no time.
- Embalmer: Another one which has not many takers is the job of a dead-body sanitiser. Average salaries range from $45,000 upwards per annum.
- Luxury House-Sitter: Taking care of luxury houses while their owners are on vacation is a cushy job to have. You get paid for lazing around in a palatial house with food and other amenities for free and a $200 per week allowance. Great if you need a paid quiet time in luxury.
- TV Watcher: Watching TV to provide viewer ratings or write subtitles is a profession that is catching up fast. You could earn a starting salary of $25,000.
- Waterslide Tester: This involves testing water slides in theme parks and luxury pools for quality, safety, speed etc. A professional waterslide tester not only gets a great salary but also the experience of travelling to exciting places.
- Elevator Mechanic: With a salary of $70,000 and above, who would not think of fixing elevators and escalators, especially when it requires no professional qualifications?
- Trash Collector: A garbage collector's job may be looked down on, but not any more if you know that they earn $60,000 or more per annum.
- Toy Creator: If you are a child at heart and have not had your fill with toys, then here is a job where you can relive your childhood forever. Starting with $53,000, toy creators can make loads of money based on their creativity.
Emolument provides bonus and salary statistics based on data submitted directly by professionals like you. It is free, anonymous, and already a trusted tool for thousands of professionals worldwide. Are you paid enough? Click here to find out now.
Are you an employer?
Hire and retain the best talent with accurate and reliable dataBenchmark Your Teams
Know what you're worth
Compare your compensation with peers in your industry